Bhoger Bhuni Khichuri
By Barnali Dutta, published by Prasadam:Every Bengali eagerly waits to break their Durga Puja Fast with this khichuri bhog otherwise they feel incomplete through the year. And it makes one feel at home. A true Bhoger Khichuri Recipe I was looking for, finally I got it and you will too for sure. My earnest request, try at least once
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time: | Yield: 1 large bowl
Serving size: 1 tablespoon | Calories per serving: 215
Ingredients for Bengali Bhuni Khichuri:
1. Dry roast the dal separately for a while until it becomes golden in color. Wash with clean water.
2. Wash the rice. Soak rice and dal for 15 minutes in clean water.
3. Now drain the rice and dal carefully. Mix turmeric, chilli, coriander, cumin and ginger powder, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon ghee and 2 teaspoon salt with rice and dal. Mix well with wooden spoon and keep aside for 15 minutes.
4. Season the lightly blanched cauliflower florets with salt and turmeric. Fry cashew nuts and cauliflower floret until golden brown. Add khoa or mawa, again fry a little more.
5. Take a heavy-bottomed deep pan, heat ghee add tempering of bay leaves, whole red chilli, and cinnamon, add ginger and fry a little, then add the rice and dal mix. Fry for about 10 minutes on medium to medium high heat.
6. Add four cups of boiling water [same cups as of rice and dal]. As soon as the water comes to boil, add fried cauliflower, cashew, and khoa, mix well. Put a lid on it. Simmer on low heat for 20/25 minutes.
7. Open the lid, add 2 teaspoon ghee, salt and jaggery bon bon, lemon juice, and green chillies, stir well.