Boiled over rice (Matar dal bhate)By Barnali Dutta Published on : Find us on Google+
Matar Dal balls (split peas lentil). A traditional steamed Bengali dish served at the beginning of the meal, very unusual and tasty legume dish.
Prep time: | Cook time: | Total time:
Yield: | Serving size: 4 | Calories per serving: 128
- Split peas 150g (for 4 persons)
- Green chillies 2 to 4
- Mustard paste 1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut 2 tablespoon
- Mustard oil and salt as required
- Take dal, wash thoroughly and soak overnight in sufficient water. In the morning grind the dal with enough water to make a little dry paste so that one can make balls out of it .
- Add 1 to 2 chopped green chillies, salt and sorshe (mustard) paste. Make 4 balls.
- Now cook rice for the meal. While cooking rice when the water begins to boil, drop the pea balls one by one in the rice cooking pot. Let it cook until the rice is done Then first put the flame off, take out the balls one by one, it will be firm by then. Now discard the water from cooked rice completely.
- Let the balls cool down a bit Break the balls by hand. Add grated coconut, 1 or 2 chopped green chillies, 1 teaspoon mustard oil and salt as required Mix well and enjoy with steamed hot rice.
Published Indian Cuisine Join me on Google+